How to grow in the Christian life
As a new Christian, you are still a baby in the things of the Spirit. John 3:6 says “that which is born of flesh is flesh; and that which is born of Spirit. “You have been born into this world. This is your birth in the flesh. You are only born of the spirit the day you receive Christ into your life.
You must grow in the life of the spirit as a child grows when it is born into this world.
If you must grow to be a healthy and successful Christian, you must do the following:
- You must study (or hear) the word of God daily.
1Peter 2:2-3 says “As new born babies, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby, if so be ye have tasted that the lord is gracious.” The word of God is to your soul as milk and food is to your body. Without food you will die. Without the word of God you will not have faith, for faith comes by hearing the word of God- Rom 10:17. Without faith you cannot please God nor live the Christian life – Heb. 10-38; 11:6. The word of GOD is written for doctrine, for reproof, correction and a guide to live righteously so that you can grow to be a mature Christian -2 Tim 3:15-17. You start by reading a portion from the Gospel according to St. John every day. Pray that God will open your eyes to understand what he wants you to know before you read each portion. After reading find out what you learn about GOD, about yourself and about Jesus Christ. Make it a daily habit. See What God told Joshua 1:8. You must also obey all that the word of God Says.
- You must pray to God every day. God wants us to talk to Him. He has become your father. As a Father who cares, He delights to hear from you. That is what Prayer is about. Prayer is the breath of the Christian Me. If you do not pray always, you will not have Power to live the Christian life. 1 Thess 5:15. “’Pray without ceasing” Jesus taught His disciples to pray so that they will not fall into temptation. As a beginner, you can adopt this simple guide called ACTS.
A –Adoration. Praise Him for His greatness and His Almighty Power. Adore the works of His hands. He made the Heavens, the Earth, the Seas and all that are in them. Praise Him that He made these things for you.
C- Confess whatever sins you know you have committed ask for forgiveness and power not to do them again.
T- Thank Him for forgiving and cleansing you. Thank Him that He has made you His child. Thank Him for answers to your previous prayers (if any).
S – Supplication. Prayer for others. Then pray for yourself and your needs. Pray that you do not fall into temptation. Make it a habit to pray and attend prayer meetings. You will grow to spend more time in prayers.
- You must fellowship with other Christians. Heb. 10:25 says “Not forsaking the assemblies of yourselves together, as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another: and so much more, as ye see the day approaching.”
Find out Bible believing Church or Fellowship group where you will be taught the word of God with other Christians. Do not go to where the pastor does not preach against sin and show you can serve God in spirit and in TRUTH. (Jn. 4:23-24).
- You must tell others how to become Christians. If initially you cannot show someone else from the Bible how he can be a Christian, you can tell him how you became a Christian and bring him with you to your Church or Fellowship group. Learn from John 4:28-42.
Jesus commanded us to preach the Gospel to all creatures (Matt 28:19). You have become one of those to whom this command was given. We will make available materials to help you to witness if you ask for them.
- You hate sin and live a holy life. God has saved you from sin and expects that you will not go back into committing and enjoying sin. Read 1Pet. 1:15-16; Eph.4:21-32 and 5:1-21.
The true test that you are Christian is that you hate sin and when you are overtaken by sin, you are unhappy and feel that you have disappointed your lord. Whenever you are in this state, confess your sin and ask God to forgive you and give you power to overcome next time-See 1 Jn. 2: 1-1.
Your spiritual growth is our concern. Make sure you contact us if you have any problem.